Submission Policy





Mel BrakE Press acquires first serial rights to all work published. Mel BrakE Press also reserves the right to electronically archive any content published.




All other rights revert to author upon publication.



Mel BrakE Press has a liberal submission policy, and will accept poetry manuscripts (not books) for its next publication cycle, the Spring of 2018.



We do not charge a reading fee. We DO NOT PAY TO PUBLISH YOUR WORK.



We only accept submissions via email for collection of poems. Please send no more than 3-5 pages of poetry as an email attachment using standard MS format. We do not accept epic manuscripts:10 pages or more will be rejected.



Please note in subject line: "Submission".

Manuscripts that do not follow our guidelines
will be subject to rejection. We do not publish books.



Direct submissions or questions to:

Melbrake@verizon.net



Thank you











Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Poetry of Jay Frankston

We published the poetry of Jay Frankston

BIO:  
 
Jay Frankston (wlp@mcn.org) was raised in Paris. Narrowly escaping the Holocaust, he came to the United States in 1942, became a lawyer, and practiced on his own in New York for nearly 20 years, reaching the top of his profession and sculpting and writing at the same time. In 1972 he gave up law and New York and moved himself and his family to Northern California, where he became a teacher and continued to sculpt and write. He is the author of several books and of a true tale entitled “A Christmas Story” which was published in New York, condensed in Reader’s Digest, translated into 15 languages, and called a Christmas classic by many reviewers. El Sereno, his latest novel, is a short epic set in Spain with authentic historical background. It took 10 years and two trips to Madrid to

GOD KISSED ME

God kissed me when I was born.
Of course I don’t remember
but it gave me life and made me whole.
He sent me out into this world
confused, without a map,
without a compass or a sense of direction.
And I struggled through the maze
feeling my oats along the way,
bouncing back and forth
between what God gave me
and what the world wanted of me.
I played the game and rolled the dice
but I didn’t know the rules.
Now that the game is almost over
I find my winnings greater than my losses
and see God at the end of the line
waiting to congratulate me
on having run the course
and kiss me again on the way out. 


  Goodby!

GOD has left the premises.
He has moved to another galaxy.
He left a note for us on the mantelpiece.
I’ll read it to you:

GOODBY! I’m leaving.
I am really disappointed in you.
I gave you a world full of beauty,
with sunsets and dawns, clouds and stars,
flowers and butterflies, colors and sound.
And what have you done with my gifts?
You’ve become greedy. 
You are obsessed with your possessions
always wanting more.
You feel innocent and righteous
but you know what you must do
and you don’t do it.
And you know what you mustn’t do
and you do it.

You ignore the poor,
the sick and the downtrodden. 
You make excuses for yourself.
“I need the job”. “I have a mortgage to pay”.
“I’m too busy” or “I haven’t got the time”.
You manage to blame “them” for all your ills.
“Them”, the politicians, the corporations,
the blacks, the Jews and Wall street.
The other fellow in any case.
And you are blind to your participation.

You spoil the air you breathe
and defecate in your own garden.
You travel far and wide
to massacre women and children
and blame me for not stopping you.
You wreck havoc upon the world
and ask me for help in restoring some order
from your chaos.

Goodby! I’ve lost faith in you.
If you manage to survive your abuses,
if you come to your senses
before it is too late,
I may return to your world
and bring back the Hope
that you have squandered.


No comments:

Post a Comment